Monday, October 20, 2014

Improved buttonholes!

Today I took half an hour and tackled my buttonhole problem. I watched Arenda Holladay's one-row buttonhole tutorial (linked in yesterday's post) a few times and got in a little practice. These are definitely improved buttonholes:



A thing I love about her video is that on the wrong side, when you're casting on the stitches to replace the ones you bound off, you do the cable cast on purlwise so that the pretty side of the cast on shows on the right side of the work. I like detailed solutions like that!

But I am going to have to practice the purlwise cable cast on, because it's hard to get the stitches as uniform and tight as they should be. I don't know if that's because it's purlwise or because I'm just not strong on the cast on itself. I think part of my problem yesterday was that the backwards loop cast on stitches were not fully uniform (and they were too tight). This seems like an area for me to work on.

Here's a closer look at my third (and best) buttonhole:


Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment